UP! is a community based training programme delivered by Impactt and Awaj Foundation, and funded by C&A Foundation. UP! aims to empower and improve the lives of 6,610 workers in the Bangladesh RMG sector through training them on essential life-skills, including financial management, health and nutrition, and leadership and negotiation skills. The training aims to empower women workers in particular to take more control of their family finances, negotiate with their supervisors for leave and benefits and live a healthier lifestyle.
“I try to do work on time so that I can maintain my daily routine properly. My relationship with my supervisor has improved a lot and it allows me to take leave when I need it. And I tell him the real reasons I need leave which creates transparency between me and my supervisor.” – Female worker
- The number of workers who save money every month has increased from 52% to 88%, by findings savings in their expenditure and new sources of income.
- Workers’ savings are much more secure, with the training catalysing a 146% increase in the number of workers saving money in bank accounts or DPS’s.
- Women are less willing to have decisions made for them by husbands/spouses and are more likely to negotiate to find a mutual solution.
- The number of women who feel like they have some control over their finances has risen from 67% to 99%, with the number saying they have no control dropping from 22% to 1%.
- Workers’ awareness of key health knowledge around drinking, diet and common diseases has improved.
“I have asked my husband to give me 50/100 tk daily. I have started to save this money and saved 1000 tk within 2 weeks.” – Female worker