|Date posted||14 March 2022|
|Applications closing date||30 June 2022|
|Pathway||B – Technical and Consultancy Services|
|Reports to||China Director|
Introduction to Impactt
Impactt is a leading consultancy specialising in ethical trade, human rights and labour standards. We work with major brands, retailers, governments, academics and NGOs to maximise the positive impacts of global trade on workers and local communities. With offices in the UK, Bangladesh, China, India, and a wide network of consultants across Europe, Asia and Africa, we are internationally recognised for our change focused, practical and innovative approach. Impactt works with a wide range of stakeholders, from large retailers and government bodies to factory workers and local communities. Often the experiences and languages of these different stakeholders are so far apart that they do not ‘see’ or interact with each other. Impactt helps to bridge the gap and deliver real change on the ground.
Job Overview and Purpose
This Senior Consultant role will be based in our office in Guangzhou, China, and the post holder will be required to occasionally undertake national and international travel as needed. The Senior Consultant will be working with the global Impactt team to develop and deliver high-quality project work and develop and manage their team. They will have responsibility for advising on varied projects from child labour remediation to improvements in the Agriculture sector to training. You will assume the overall management of several client portfolios. Knowledge and experience of working in Agriculture and corporate social responsibility (CSR) are required.
- Be responsible for all aspects of project management and delivery, including, but not limited to:
- Lead Impactt assessments and other consultancy programmes in the Agriculture sector to raise awareness for improving labour standards
- Lead various capacity building projects for workers, farms and international brands and companies on supply chain labour standard issues in China
- Develop materials, guidelines and tools to implement various human and worker rights projects
- Serve as an internal resource for Agriculture expertise and assist Impactt to strengthen project quality and internal development through regular exchanges of information, collaboration on initiatives and cross-learning exercises.
- Depending on requirements, work independently or in close collaboration with our UK-based Group Marketing Manager to develop marketing materials as required on specific Agriculture topics.
- Write clear and concise proposals, reports and other works in English and Chinese.
- Liaise confidently with our UK Head Office, our regional offices in Bangladesh and India, local and international clients and partners.
- Liaise confidently with clients, suppliers and other external stakeholders relating to progress on and delivery of desired improvements.
- Develop client trust and secure repeat business where appropriate.
- Develop new business with new clients, develop and maintain excellent client relationships.
- Deliver accurate work, paying attention to detail.
- Demonstrating strong analytical skills and ability to provide strategic advice to clients.
- Support local office and international consultancy teams on delivery of projects.
|Category||Description||Essential / Desirable|
|Language proficiency||Fluent in reading, writing and speaking Chinese and English||Essential|
|Qualifications||Undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification with work experience in project management within the Agriculture sector||Essential|
|Experience||At least five years of CSR consulting and/or ethical trade consulting work experience. Agriculture sector experience is preferred but not essential||Desirable|
|Ethical/social audit experience or understanding of factory set-up||Essential|
|Project management experience incorporating the planning and progressing project management activities using general project management principles, using initiative and judgement||Essential|
|Significant experience of working/responding independently and dealing with unforeseen problems and circumstances||Essential|
|International and cross-cultural work experience with a sensitivity to a multi-cultural global environment/working in developing countries||Essential|
|Significant experience in or exposure to social compliance auditing and/or beyond compliance activities||Essential|
|Experience in business development, including replying to RFPs and proposal writing||Essential|
|Experience managing a team||Essential|
|Line management/supervisory experience – coaching, motivation, managing performance||Essential|
|Substantial experience delivering fieldwork independently||Essential|
|Experience in developing innovative solutions and contributing to strategic planning||Essential|
|Knowledge and skills||Extensive knowledge of ethical trade, how supply chains work and the social compliance agenda||Essential|
|Excellent data analysis skills involving advanced use of Microsoft Excel and large data sets||Essential|
|Excellent report writing skills||Essential|
|Excellent presentation, training and facilitation skills||Essential|
|Strong knowledge of project accounting||Desirable|
|Detailed operational knowledge of ethical trade/responsible sourcing/the social compliance agenda beyond compliance activities||Essential|
|Proven analytical and problem-solving capability||Essential|
|Proven communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to negotiate, motivate, influence and build relationships||Essential|
|Understanding of relevant policy and legislation (Labour laws, ILO conventions, and international legislation) to area of work||Essential|
|Proven ability to communicate with clients, resulting in regular repeat business||Essential|
|Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management, problem-solving and planning skills||Essential|
|Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure||Essential|
|Knowledge of project management principles||Essential|
|Other||Ability to work outside regular hours, including attendance at evening and occasional weekend meetings||Essential|
|Ability to travel periodically nationally and internationally to the locations that Impactt conducts its business||Essential|
|Committed to the values and objectives of Impactt||Essential|
The post holder should have and display the following personal attributes:
- Passionate about Impactt and the work we do.
- Strong self-management and good team player.
- Strong sense of initiative and great capacity at working on their own.
- Pro-active, thinking about future actions and sharing best practices with the team.
- Adaptable and solutions orientated
- Reliable, strong integrity and ethical behaviour
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Empathy with others and ability to respond accordingly
By delivering on these accountabilities and responsibilities, the post holder will make a significant contribution to Impactt’s five-year strategy to:
- Make positive impacts on 6 million workers globally
- Work with 150+ clients globally
- Grow the Impactt team of human rights and business experts and specialists to over 70 people globally
- Contribute to achieving £6 million turnover
- Cultivate a hard-working, high performing team globally
Application and Closing Date
To apply for this role, please submit a cover letter and your CV by Saturday, 30 April 2022. Regrettably, this role is only open to candidates who already have the right to work and live in China.